Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The first day of the rest of my life

OK, people. New plan. You're hearing it here, first.
Exclusive report.

I've been contemplating getting serious about losing weight before my two kids' weddings this fall. I'm just contemplating because I've been on diets off and on for the past 25 years. My desire to be thinner just cannot compete with my desire to indulge my every whim when it comes to food.

Tonight I was driving home with my best friend after consuming my half of a large pizza when she surprised the heck out of me by suggesting that it might be a good idea to get with the program and lose weight before the first wedding on Sept. 12.

I was surprised because Sue and I have fallen into the habit of effectively convincing ourselves that we're jolly, fun and great all-round gals, despite our weight. It's what's on the inside that counts, and all that. And here she was, going over to the dark side, encouraging me to exercise, cut back on sweets and add more veggies to my diet. What gives?

"You always hate photos of yourself, Krista," she said. "Do you want to keep your kids' wedding photos hidden away because you don't like the way you look?

"Besides, think of it as a 'two fer.' You only have to lose weight once for two weddings!"

Of course she's right. I hate pictures of myself. I hate how my face is all puffy and my body is all boobs and belly.

So, after she dropped me off at home, I harnessed up the hounds and took them for a long walk. I highlighted the day on my calendar and vowed to get the majority of my days highlighted for the next three months. I'm formulating an eating plan and am working on my overall attitude about eating and weight.

In the vein of full disclosure, I humbly submit my official "before" photo.

And I need your help. If you see me hoovering down a pizza or buying a Hostess Berry Pie, please knock me in the head with a 2x4. (I'll thank you when I recover consciousness.)


1 comment:

Sue T said...

WOW ... that was fast! I haven't even finished digesting my half of that large pizza yet! YOU GO GIRL!