Monday, March 9, 2009

A teeny morning adventure

I was standing in my dark kitchen this morning, filling the coffee maker, when I happened to look out the window over the sink. There, hovering just above the arborvitae shrubs outside, the big full moon and wisps of silvery clouds were caught in a patch of silvery sky. I was entranced. In the cold dark morning, it looked magical.

I dashed out into the 12-degree darness in my jammies to start my pickup. Inside, I grabbed my camera, the first dribbles of coffee and my coat. My heart was beating like a snare drum. I was going to drive out of town and sit in my warm pickup in my comfy jammies, drink the first cup of coffee of the day and watch the moon set. It was going to be lovely and I couldn’t wait to tell everyone about it.

When I got outside to my pickup, I found all the windows iced up. Fudge. I looked around the side of the house…moon was still there. OK, so I quickly scraped little holes in the ice and jumped in.

Somewhat speeding down my sleeping street, I looked west at each intersection to make sure the moon was still there.

Before I got out of town, however, which is only a matter of three minutes, the silvery moon was gone.

I turned around and came back home.

Was I disappointed? A tad. But, mostly, I was happy. I was happy that I am the sort of person who will jump in the rig to go watch a moon set at 5:30 in the morning. I was happy that I live in a little town on a prairie, so that experience is possible.

I was happy to be me. In this life. Right now.

2 comments:

Sue T said...

LOVE IT!!! I understand completely. Although I am not the morning person you are, I often enjoy the moon on those early Friday mornings when I take Mom to dialysis.

Anonymous said...

Seriously. Love this. We all need to take ourselves out for a bit of an adventure, and know we are doing just that.