Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pretty darned close to conquering Badger Mountain


Because I despise exercise involving machines and sweat, and I love being outside, I’ve been peeking into the world of hiking. My area has the most wonderful, open winters, with mild temperatures and lots of sunshine -- perfect for winter hiking. (You won’t catch me hiking in the 100+ heat, so I’ll have to be a winter hiker.)


My first hiking challenge is Badger Mountain. The largest of three prominent hills jutting from the flat landscape of the Columbia and Yakima river basin of the Tri-Cities, Badger Mountain is really more of a large hill, only 1579 feet above sea level. The mountain has been adopted and preserved by Friends of Badger Mountain. The group essentially bought the mountain fewer than 10 years ago, when it was in danger of being turned into a lofty perch for expensive homes, and has since worked to build miles of trails and raise money to buy adjacent property. The result is an outstanding recreational resource that is enjoyed year round by many people, from young families to older couples.


I was there on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and it was the first really sunny day after a gray spell. As I suspected, I wasn’t the only one eager to be outside in the sunshine. The parking lot was packed.


From the base of the mountain, the trail climbs steeply. There are stairs cut into especially difficult portions of the path that ease the pain somewhat, but I was still huffing and puffing like crazy and had to stop to catch my breath repeatedly.


Whenever I heard someone coming up behind me, I stepped off the trail and let them pass. I was embarrassed to sound like The Little Engine That Could, so I am sorry to report that I often held my breath while they passed. Wildly stupid, yes. The result was, of course, that I was even more out of breath.


OK, not really. I came to the bottom of what looked like an impossibly steep portion of the trail and I just couldn’t make myself do it. Another thing I’m all about is Personal Comfort. Later, when I looked at the trail map, I realized just how close I’d been to the top of the mountain.


Next time I try to conquer Badger and I get to that point of the trail, I’ll just dig deep and pour on the steam. The Little Engine That Could will power her way to the TOP!

I hope there's a Dutch Bros coffee hut up there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about your hiking experience, the views are amazing. I'm thinking a Dutch Bros. Coffee stand would probably bring in nearly as much cash as the River Boat Captain.. something to think about..:)

Anonymous said...

The view from the mountain looks great, enjoyed your pictures. Wish I could walk it with you, I'd be like the Little Engine That Couldn't! Keep up the good work. I agree that walking outside is way better than inside.