Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One-a-day geocaching challenge

Just for grins, I set myself a challenge to get one cache a day for a month. Not two or three, just one. This is harder than you think. This afternoon, for instance, it was sunny and still and I was in an area riddled with bike and hiking trails begging to be explored.

My phone's geocaching app told me there were three other caches nearby and I was so tempted to scamper after them all. I refrained, however, telling myself that I can come back tomorrow and the next day, therefore prolonging the pleasure of stomping around in the desert in the winter sunshine. The cache is located so close to my house that the round trip, including hike and hunt, took only 20 minutes, afterall.

Pulling off the road at a trail head, I looked out in the direction my GPS was pointing (above), and, because I'm somewhat of an expert at geocaching, I assessed the situation thusly: "Betcha that cache is under a sage brush."

Sure enough, there it was. I signed the log and was back home in flash. 27 caches to go.













No comments: