Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Friend with Benefits












A friend with benefits. Maybe this isn’t such a bad idea.

I don’t want someone who comes over every single night to wear out the end cushion on my couch and take over the remote control. I don’t want someone who expects me to attend all his family’s gatherings. I don’t want someone whose opinion I have to consider when getting a new haircut, or someone who questions my shaky money management skills.

I don’t want to expect support and encouragement and not get it.

I just want someone to occasionally look across the table adoringly. Someone to spend a sunny Saturday with, geocaching or panning for gold or even fishing. Someone to call when I have a funny story to share. Someone to kiss me senseless and tell me I’m wonderful.

Wanting all those lovely aspects of a relationship but still wanting to keep someone at arm’s length… Have I absorbed an unhealthy dose of testosterone somehow?? Can you pick that up from a public toilet?

That sounds so distinctly MALE. In fact, I sound exactly like the sort of men we single women despise.

What’s next? Spitting in public? Dirty underwear on the floor? Training my dog to get me a beer?
“Pull my finger!”

2 comments:

Sue T said...

HA! Sounds like heaven.

kel said...

I think if word gets out on this, you'll have them lined up...