Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Out with the skinny clothes

My closet was packed, and yet I could find nothing to wear for my date last weekend. I decided the problem was my summer clothes were shielding the winter things from view. I’ve never had a large enough wardrobe that I felt the need to store off-season clothes. I’ve always just pushed them to the sides. Since discovering the magical world of QVC about a year ago, however, the situation has changed. Do we have to talk about the fact that I also gained about 40 pounds during the past year? Let’s just say that I’ve been remodeling my figure, one candy bar at a time.
So, I gathered some plastic tubs and began a total closet overhaul. I pulled all my lovely summer things, packing them carefully, vowing to be too thin for them next year. I threw away anything that could be called a lawn mowing or paint shirt. How many of those does a person need, after all? I made a stack of things I knew I’d never wear again to donate to the thrift shop.
Even after all that weeding, I saw that there still was nothing to wear, so I packed away everything that had “shrunk” since last winter. Two tubs full of gorgeous sweaters, nice slacks and cute tops. And I wasn’t even skinny when I used to wear those. Oh, heavens to Betsy, this was depressing. Time for a restorative cookie break.
Now my closet is cavernous, containing a handful of voluminous tops – all black, it seems – and zillions of hangers. Heck, toss in a hotplate and I could take in a boarder.
So, what’s the plan? I need to get back into those clothes that I love. I hate to admit to you that I packed tops that still had tags attached. I’m sure when I got them home they were a teensy bit snug but I was going to diet myself into them. Dream on!
While I wait for the miracle of weight loss to occur, I’m going to continue to watch QVC faithfully, holding tightly to the hosts’ promises of slimming lines and flattering colors. I’m sure a few new well-cut tops in beautiful colors will improve my confidence and resolve.
I just pray the new wardrobe never becomes my "skinny clothes."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's me!

Anonymous said...

At least you HAVE skinny clothes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Too funny- "heck, throw in a hot plate and I could take in a boarder.." How do you think of these things?--Ingenious.